The Official Status Thread

• FoxDev

@cartman82 said:

Brand new server, already hacked.

Maybe 0x0A was not the best choice of root password.

🐠

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@cartman82 said:

Impossibru! Lunix hardware is immune to viruses and hackers!

@Boner said:

I'm going to have to remove these manually before sending the log to the supplier

The FWP thread is :random arrows: way.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

We have this thing in the US, maybe you've heard of it, it's called "presumed innocent until proven guilty". Why would you even ask that, you dipshit?

People who seem to share many of Obama's political leanings have been telling us that due process and proof shouldn't be considered when it comes to rape. I think it's a good question precisely because your point needs to be raised to these crazies.

• ♿ (Parody)

@antiquarian said:

You'll notice I didn't use the word "SJW". That's because I've learned this week that people who use that word non-ironically are irremediably evil and worthless.

But if you used it, wouldn't you be making fun of them for their delusions about what "social justice" means? Seems like a legit ironic usage to me.

• kills Dumbledore

@cartman82 said:

How do you know it's hacked from that image? Because all I see is... actually, I have no idea what I'm seeing

• Rejected. Too anime.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

Too anime.

in other words.... perfect.

@Magus said:

So I'll just leave it here:

YOINK! :-D

• Status: Looking forward to today's chapter. Whatever follows from a chapter that ended with that image must be good. Now that they've caught up with the artist, we only get four panels a day, but it works.

• @blakeyrat said:

But Detroit used to be rich, so it has like big buildings and stuff that real third-world shitholes generally-speaking do not have.

But I thought Detroit was a real third-world shithole.

Ok, they do have all four major sports teams, so they can't actually be a third-world shithole. Maybe a second world?

• @JazzyJosh said:

Maybe a second world?

They're commies???

• I wouldn't put that past UAW leadership

EDIT: And then I foot-in-mouth due to history

The UAW became strongly anti-communist after it expelled its Communist leaders in the late 1940s following the Taft–Hartley Act, and supported the Vietnam war and opposed the antiwar Democratic candidates.[4]

• Status: dumping the Likes thread to disk. Apologies for any inconvenience...

Filed under: amusingly, there seem to be no 500s so far

• That explains why half my Likes resulted in an error just a minute ago...carry on! 😆

• :belt_onion:

err, the Really Really Bad Ideas Thread is :fa_arrows_everywhere:

• Status: Investigating QGIS for Raspberry Pi, in the interest of setting up a trail mapping computer for my dirt bike. I actually kind of miss the GIS world.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

• Status: noticed Netflix strangely had the "new episodes!" label on MASH. Huh?

Turns out the time capsule episode I saw last wasn't the end of the series. There's a two hour series finale. About a full hour of it is nothing but every character saying goodbye to every other character in every combination.

It's amazing.

(Although I do have to note that Hawkeye's bus memory scene was written after the Catch-22 "help the bombardier!" scene, because they're very similar.)

• ###Twitter's thought process:

Problem: Users are clicking "close" on our "While you were away" popup

Solution: They must be doing it accidentally or misunderstand the idea. Add a poll asking them are they sure they dislike our nifty new feature

Problem: Users keep clicking "close" and saying that, yes they dislike the stupid thing

Solution: Disable the "close" button, so the popup stays indefinitely

Problem solved.

Best practice when making distributed systems suddenly crystallized.

If you need an action on app A to trigger an action on app B, don't have A directly contact B. Then things depend on B catching this event and executing flawlessly. And if anything goes wrong, there's no way to recover and try again.

Instead have A set a flag somewhere "Action needs to be done".
    Then B can read the flag, perform the action and update the flag when/if done.

This doesn't apply on traditional request/response logic (eg. app B needs to return data to app A), but makes things like triggers so much more reliable.

• @cartman82 said:

This doesn't apply on traditional request/response logic (eg. app B needs to return data to app A), but makes things like triggers so much more reliable.

Have app B set a flag, and app A checking for that flag. We did exactly that when we were delegating some long-running jobs to a separate Windows service.

You still need to have your flag-setting mechanism (the database, I guess) work reliably, though...

• Well, you have request/response logic and "shit needs to be done" logic.

The flag works great for the later. The results can be provided in the manner you suggested, as long as there's no time sensitivity in play.

If there is, there is additional stuff to consider. For example, what happens when there's no app B available? If you have a user looking at a "Processing..." dialog on app A, that's a problem. Also error handling when B fails, craps out, takes too long, produces a user-facable error etc. I have a different system handling situations like this, pure flags are not enough.

• My boss kicked the one person who had their eye on the ball off our team for ‘makes things too difficult’, i.e. trying to get our code tested before we deploy it. Followed shortly by their resignation. I'm feeling very existential right now.

• Status: Had Lasik eye surgery yesterday. The results are incredible. 10/10, would recommend.

• Status: have shifted hot desks so I have my back to the window and face the corridor, instead of my back to the corridor and to the people who should technically be making sure I'm doing something constructive.

As some of you know, I'm a contractor, but not freelance: I'm employed by a firm who pimphire me out to other companies. I'm currently between contracts, and the Fairly Dismal Masters decree that 'consultants' who are 'beached' have to come into the office 9-5:30 every day and find something to do.

I have a new contract lined up already so there's very little constructive I can do. In practice my job at present is to remain contactable, but they like to keep up an illusion that beached contractors are actually doing something. There's no reason I couldn't be 'working' from home - in fact I really urgently need, for the sake of my new contract, to do something I can't do from the office. But rather than make it policy that anyone who's waiting to start a new contract can 'work from home' on any day as long as their account manager approves it, I have to get official approval from HR, who take a week to respond to anything. So instead of doing the one thing that would actually be useful from their perspective, I'm sat here drinking their coffee (at least we do get free coffee here, unlike my last contract) and using their internet to d*ck around on forums.

I did manage to do something slightly constructive. I just finished refactoring the noughts and crosses game I wrote yesterday. I'm pretty pleased with the result, considering that the language doesn't permit proper multidimensional arrays.

• kills Dumbledore

@CarrieVS said:

using their internet to d*ck around on forums

When you can find a forum that's not blocked by their overly restrictive net nanny, which considers blogs/opinion as Bad Things. Including most programming blogs with answers to the problems I was having. Hooray for Google cached results

• @Jaloopa said:

When you can find a forum that's not blocked by their overly restrictive net nanny

I can get to this and to My Other ForumTM (which is too unknown to be on the radar of most content filters). And BBC news.

What I can't get to are most of the promising google results for "Visual Basic tutorial" - VB being a key thing I will need at my new contract, that I don't know - since they all seem to have videos, which are blanket blocked, or be on blogs that are blocked. The only one that I can use from the office is clearly intended for people with no understanding of programming and is of limited use for actually getting a good understanding of how it works. Fuzzily Deluded Management, of course, do not teach VB or have any resources relating to it.

• kills Dumbledore

That pretty much matches what I remember of being beached. Stupid, wrongheaded bans that stop you doing useful things, while leaving huge swathes of time wasting Internet wide open

• I have two more weeks of this. Probably, since I haven't yet had my start date confirmed (better than my first contract where I was given a start date of 'January' and all through December and half of January I couldn't persuade anyone to tell me anything more precise, although I know for a fact that they knew). Meanwhile all the weekends in that time are going to be frantically busy trying to sort out finding a flat and moving into it and stuff.

• @CarrieVS said:

What I can't get to are most of the promising google results for "Visual Basic tutorial" - VB being a key thing I will need at my new contract, that I don't know - since they all seem to have videos, which are blanket blocked, or be on blogs that are blocked. The only one that I can use from the office is clearly intended for people with no understanding of programming and is of limited use for actually getting a good understanding of how it works. Fuzzily Deluded Management, of course, do not teach VB or have any resources relating to it.

Do they manage to ban SO somehow?

• @tarunik said:

Do they manage to ban SO somehow?

No. But nothing from SO came up in the google results, and it's not on my radar as a resource for learning something from scratch - does it have that sort of thing and if so how do I find it?

• Status: Hoping there's nothing interesting farther upthread, because Discourse decided to scroll all the way to the bottom when it loaded and pinned me there, not letting me scroll back up.

EDIT: Solved, was actually my mouse. Other sites were doing it.

Filed Under: Not sure if DiscoBug or DiscoTrolling

• kills Dumbledore

It's not a good resource for full on tutorials, unless someone's posted to a particular section in one as aprt of an answer. SO is for when you know at least the basics and have a specific question

@CarrieVS said:

'consultants' who are 'beached'

Around here, they bench consultants instead of beaching them, because they're normally not whales.

• @Jaloopa said:

It's not a good resource for full on tutorials, unless someone's posted to a particular section in one as aprt of an answer. SO is for when you know at least the basics and have a specific question

That's what I always thought, but @tarunik's response seemed to imply that I was missing the obvious if I hadn't tried there. Unless I misunderstood.

@FrostCat said:

Around here, they bench consultants instead of beaching them, because they're normally not whales.

Are you saying I'm fat?
    It's an even sillier term than you think, because while beached we 'work' in the pond, where you can hardly be if you're out of the water.

@CarrieVS said:

Are you saying I'm fat?

Are you saying you're abnormal?

Also,
    @CarrieVS said:

It's an even sillier term than you think

no, it's not actually sillier than I think it is.

• kills Dumbledore

@CarrieVS said:

Are you saying I'm fat?

Maybe he's saying you're a cyber ninja cat whale?

//hm, this is a bit of a mess too
    //ugh. todo first thing monday
    //...some monday

...slightly lacking motivation to refactor.

• @CarrieVS said:

I'm employed by a firm who pimphire me out to other companies. I'm currently between contracts, and the Fairly Dismal Masters decree that 'consultants' who are 'beached' have to come into the office 9-5:30 every day and find something to do.

I guess at least you're getting paid for sitting in the office being useless, yes? In my limited experience with being a contractor, when the contract with the client ended, I ceased to be employed by the firm. No sitting around uselessly; no getting paid. At least one firm I've talked to said there might be an internal project between client assignments, but I've never actually worked for a firm that does that.

• @cartman82 said:

If you need an action on app A to trigger an action on app B, don't have A directly contact B. Then things depend on B catching this event and executing flawlessly. And if anything goes wrong, there's no way to recover and try again.

Amazon SQS does this.

If a server picks a task and doesn't complete it in X seconds, the task goes back onto the queue for the next server to pick.

• What happens if the task takes X+1 seconds to complete?

• @HardwareGeek said:

I guess at least you're getting paid for sitting in the office being useless, yes? In my limited experience with being a contractor, when the contract with the client ended, I ceased to be employed by the firm. No sitting around uselessly; no getting paid. At least one firm I've talked to said there might be an internal project between client assignments, but I've never actually worked for a firm that does that.

Yes, that is one good thing about this company. I take a bit of a pay cut (and it's not as though my full salary is overly generous) when I'm not on a contract, and I can't look for anything else, but I do remain employed. It's just frustrating...

I had five flats I wanted to look at - you'd think I'd find something suitable, it doesn't have to be perfect as it's only six months. But since everything's at such short notice I haven't been able to arrange a viewing on any of them. One's let (even though the advert' still up), two are supposedly being let by an agency but it's apparantly just one guy because him moving house at the weekend means there's no way I can view them, since I can't take a day off without arranging it a week in advance. One's from a private landlord and I just got his voicemail, so maybe I'll hear back. Last one's an agency that's 'fully booked' but they might be going to call me back.

I have no idea what I'm going to do. I don't have anywhere to live.

• Start Dota 2 Reborn
    • Main screen has "Michael got a RAMPAGE as Spectre" on it.
    • Click on message
    • Scoreboard of this match is displayed, along with the text "Source 1 replays cannot be viewed in Source 2".
    • Double click match ID at the top to try to select it
    • Nothing happens.
    • Highlight the match ID and press Ctrl+C
    • Close the Dota 2 Reborn Beta client and open the Dota 2 client
    • Go to the "search by match ID" textbox and press Ctrl+V
    • Textbox now says "http://www.dangermouse.net/esoteric/piet/hw6.png".

Status: complaining about a broken UI on a forum the developer of the UI will probably never read

• @ben_lubar said:

Status: complaining about a broken UI on a forum the developer of the UI will probably never read

That game's UI is somehow even less inspired than Steam's UI. Well done, Valve. You have definitely learned how to do UI since HL2.

• To be fair, it is a beta with a lot of features still to be added.

• I haven't even looked at the reborn version, but I assume that they won't change the UI much. Valve has managed to stick with 'our entire UI is grey rectangles' in source for the past decade, and steam and dota barely show more effort.

• Status: Hmm, I've not posted anything in that thread for a couple days what got liked?

Oh it's just someone reading things from almost a year ago.

So @svieira how much longer till you catch up?

• Reborn's entire thing is that it has a new UI.

• Hmm, looks like they actually have created a fairly good UI. Dark Windows 8 is a good look.

Still, I miss WC3's 'chains and gears' UI.