Galaxious

• Groaner remembered the once or twice I mentioned I'm developing a video game, so I guess it's time to go public here on TDWTF.

The game is called Galaxious, it's a 2D top-down action-adventure science-fiction MMO. Kind of like a space version of Diablo or something. It's set in the indeterminate future in a distant galaxy that's been cut off from Earth, scarred by war. The galaxy is finally starting to recover from the Antimatter Wars and there is a current time of peace, and the major empires have entered into a new era exploration and rediscovery.

You'll be able to fly starships through normal and hyperspace, and we plan to support multiplayer crews too. The idea is clans/guilds/etc can operate a large starship and have separate captain, gunners, pilot, have a fighter squadron aboard, and even soldiers to defend the ship from boarding, each one an individual player. You'll also be able to land or dock at space stations, planets, or larger starships, and explore the area in what we're descriptively calling "Ground Mode".

We're planning strong support for clans and guilds, and hope to allow them to build stations and outposts in new areas and maybe even become their own empires in game lore. Fleets and starship crews will be very important here, and guild leaders will be playing the game more like an RTS instead of a top-down action game.

There's not much to see yet because we're in an internal alpha stage, and we're working on it in our spare time. But you can follow us at www.galaxious.net

For the programmers here, I'm writing a custom game engine in C# on .NET/XNA 4.0. I'm using the Lidgren library for UDP networking. There's a SQL Server backend for world state (planet and star positions, ground area layouts, etc.), and I have an API plugin on our XenForo forum website that allows the game to authenticate logins using the website so we have unified game/web accounts.

• Obligatory Discourse failure! I replied this to @Groaner's post as a new thread but it's not showing the link.

• Well, you deleted the link, so what did you expect?

• :belt_onion:

Yeah @Mott555, did you expect the forum to use some sort of internal tracking mechanism rather than scraping the html from your post and creating a link in the other post from it?

Filed Under: That would be insanity

• I don't know about anyone else but that's what I expected it to do. It's certainly what would I have done if I'd built the forum in the first place. But noooooooooooooooooo, we have a metric assload of NIH.

• BINNED

So, space bit is supposed to be a bit EVE Online-ish? What with focus on fleets and speciality ships?

• I've been told the space parts are somewhat comparable to EVE Online and Star Citizen. I've actually never played either game, and due to the comparisons my partners have made I'm actively avoiding any media on either game so people can't claim I'm ripping them off. More so on Star Citizen, I don't think many people care about EVE anymore.

• BINNED

@mott555 said:

I'm actively avoiding any media on either game so people can't claim I'm ripping them off.

If there is a game that more people should rip off it's EVE Online. And I seriously doubt anyone would blame you if you took some hints from that game. Least of all EVE Online players.

I'd tell you that one thing you should scale down from it is some of the complexity, but given it's a weekend project I don't think you'll even get tempted to go that far if you want to be done this century.

• @Onyx said:

I'd tell you that one thing you should scale down from it is some of the complexity, but given it's a weekend project I don't think you'll even get tempted to go that far if you want to be done this century.

We're trying to keep things balanced, enough complexity to make the game interesting and not some mindless arcade game, but simple enough to develop easily and not have a tremendous learning curve for players.

• BINNED

Sorry for XKCD, but this is so true I must post it.

• That's not xkcd.

• :belt_onion:

I didn't think there was so much of a learning curve as a "it's going to take 10 real-time years to train this skill, we know you don't have any other life and will still be playing this game that far from now.

• BINNED

@ben_lubar said:

That's not xkcd.

Google images is lying to me then!

@darkmatter said:

I didn't think there was so much of a learning curve as a "it's going to take 10 real-time years to train this skill, we know you don't have any other life and will still be playing this game that far from now.

I pretty much agree with the part with hanged people. That's pretty much getting juuuust good enough at PvP to get confident, but still not being good enough not to die constantly.

Also, bitter vets getting pushed down by the bulldozer new expansion is right.

• @ben_lubar said:

That's not xkcd.

Additionally, it does not depict learning curves - it depicts [b]difficulty[/b] curves.

Incidentally, I've seen a modified version of that image to illustrate the difficulty of Dwarf Fortress.

• I tried DF the other night. I literally felt too dumb to play it.

• BINNED

@Quietust said:

@ben_lubar said:
    That's not xkcd.

Additionally, it does not depict learning curves - it depicts [b]difficulty[/b] curves.

Incidentally, I've seen a modified version of that image to illustrate the difficulty of Dwarf Fortress.

All right you pedantic dickweeds, call me back when you learn to differentiate a 100MN Afterburner Vagabond that will outright rape you from 10MN Micro Warp Drive Vagabond which will rape you with prejudice just by the amount of rape your Assault Frigate experienced. Then we can talk about difficulty vs. learning.

Fuckers... just wait until I get my Titan...

Filed under: not even funny jokes referencing things in a game almost no one played

• I'll just nod my head sagely like I pretend I have any idea what the fuck you're talking about and that I bow to your superior knowledge.

• @darkmatter said:

Yeah @Mott555, did you expect the forum to use some sort of internal tracking mechanism rather than scraping the html from your post and creating a link in the other post from it?

Filed Under: That would be insanity

Surely such meta data cannot be tracked.

• Not by Discourse but I can see at least two different ways to do it, but what would I know?

• Apparently, we know nothing compared to the omniscient Atwood.

• CodingConfessional disagrees.

• For the record, there was recently a rather long thread over on the Dwarf Fortress forums (which I frequent) arguing about how "learning curve" is used incorrrectly (which was eventually locked because it got out of hand), so the distinction was rather fresh in my mind. If, for some reason, you actually want to read it, it can be found [url=http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138478.0]here[/url].

• ♿ (Parody)

I like how successfully the first reply trolled them.

• Considered Harmful

@mott555 said:

For the programmers here, I'm writing a custom game engine in C# on .NET/XNA 4.0. I'm using the Lidgren library for UDP networking. There's a SQL Server backend for world state (planet and star positions, ground area layouts, etc.), and I have an API plugin on our XenForo forum website that allows the game to authenticate logins using the website so we have unified game/web accounts.

Is it open source? I wouldn't mind fucking around with it for an evening or two before I get bored and abandon it like I inevitably do with all projects that aren't making me money.

Filed under: Too honest?