No StackOverflow for you! Or: How to get away with <del><del>murder</del><ins>cheating</ins> </del><ins>public masturbation </ins>!

• Banned

@Maciejasjmj said:

Debugging null pointer exceptions can range anywhere from "oh, silly me, I forgot the constructor call" to "fucking Jesus Christ on a stick, I'm twenty classes deep and there's no fucking way this thing is null".

Functional programmers say hi to object-oriented programmers! 🚎

• @Maciejasjmj said:

Really? Debugging null pointer exceptions can range anywhere from "oh, silly me, I forgot the constructor call" to "fucking Jesus Christ on a stick, I'm twenty classes deep and there's no fucking way this thing is null".

What's your point? That the assignment was too difficult or that the student was dumb? The first shouldn't happen. Schools have to set realistic goals that allow them to assess the student's skill and knowledge. If they match the end goals, the student gets a diploma. The second is a reason not to let the student pass. You cannot let a student pass because he/she has no knowledge but does know someone that can solve it. People who want to pass like that should go for an MBA, or to some college where you can simply buy a degree.

Liar. In communist Poland, there was no time for such trifles as being a college student - you ended the vocational school and it was off to the factory with you.
    My, my. You're hot tempered, aren't you? "Nazi fucking Germany" ... "Liar". Of course I didn't go to school in Poland, but why do you follow it up with a blatant lie? All communist countries, including Poland, did have students. Does the hatred for the past of your country run so deep?

• @Hanzo said:

All communist countries, including Poland, did have students. Does the hatred for the past of your country run so deep?

Pretty sure that's a whoosh. :)

• @Eldelshell said:

It took the most brilliant minds to invent the computer to do it.

Brilliant? Meh. They could have just asked for the solution on stackoverflow.

• @xaade said:

This professor is teaching the kid that being stubborn to work on your own, not admit when you don't know, and not work in a community environment, is exactly what businesses right now would condemn in a professor.

The professor in the post does not demand him to "work on your own", but to "seek help from him instead of asking on boards".

Since when that when you have problem on your work, the first one to ask is not your collegue but the web? (Okay, except when you're the only people in the project)

Also, his way of copying excessive amount of code to the question, when becoming a habit, is considered harmful for his career, because there are companies that strictly forbids employees from copying their code out. (It's written in the contract not to expose the code to outsider, much like when his professor explicitly told him not to do so... you get the idea)

• You can know their skill level, but you cannot know their "level of understanding" in each of the individual topics covered in courses. Thats the job of homework. (I know some teacher prefer to ask students to do "classwork" i.e.: half lesson teaching and half lesson doing "homework" on class instead) If they can apply the topic you've taught to solve the question, the progress is good. If you see they can't do it, you know there are problem in the way of your teaching or their side.

Or can you propose other way for teachers to monitor the progress of teaching without resorting to some sort of "homework"?

Btw, you do realize the teacher's job is based on the "topics covered in course", don't you? The student may be a C# whiz, but if the course included topic of "linked list" or even older rarely used now "selection sort", "bubble sort", etc. and he somehow can't get it, it doesn't mean he'd not got a problem.

• @cheong said:

The professor in the post does not demand him to "work on your own", but to "seek help from him instead of asking on boards".

If you knew the situation, you'd know that the kid got stuck at a time where the professor would be unavailable right up to the due time.

Maybe the kid procrastinated too much, but we can't speculate that.

If it was 2 AM before the last day I had to work on something, I wouldn't want to wake up all my co-workers.

@cheong said:

Since when that when you have problem on your work, the first one to ask is not your colleague but the web?

Typically, I ask my colleagues for domain knowledge questions.
    I ask the internet for technical questions.

The reason being, that domain knowledge questions are where I mostly get stuck, and the vast majority of the time, if I have a question on a technical issue, my colleagues don't know the answer either.

@cheong said:

Also, his way of copying excessive amount of code to the question, when becoming a habit, is considered harmful for his career, because there are companies that strictly forbids employees from copying their code out.

Well, he'll learn how to anonymize code. It took me a bit too.

But if a company is so sensitive code-wise that a small block of code undoes the company, or that they have a competitor stealing bits of code over time to reproduce their product.

Then the development in that company and its competitors is stale.

The first company I worked for, my immediate thought was, "Oh let people steal it.... it's piss poor anyway. That's why I'm asking for help."

But yeah, companies that lock up their code that tight, tend to have really bad code.... really bad.

• @xaade said:

If you knew the situation, you'd know that the kid got stuck at a time where the professor would be unavailable right up to the due time.

Maybe the kid procrastinated too much, but we can't speculate that.

If it was 2 AM before the last day I had to work on something, I wouldn't want to wake up all my co-workers.

Well. These kind of work typically would be given a week or so to complete. If he wait till the last day to start, it's definately "procrastinated too much".

That said, since from his post I see his code is almost completed, I can't see why he can't wait until the next day and ask for help from the teacher before the class starts.

For an "almost completed" homework, I think most teacher will see it as acceptable to give half day leeway to complete the remaining work.

@xaade said:

Typically, I ask my colleagues for domain knowledge questions.
    I ask the internet for technical questions.

The reason being, that domain knowledge questions are where I mostly get stuck, and the vast majority of the time, if I have a question on a technical issue, my colleagues don't know the answer either.

Let me remind you we're talking about homework, where it's supposed at least half of the class should be able to get the idea even if you selected not to approach teacher for help.

@xaade said:

But if a company is so sensitive code-wise that a small block of code undoes the company, or that they have a competitor stealing bits of code over time to reproduce their product.

But yeah, companies that lock up their code that tight, tend to have really bad code.... really bad.

A rule is a rule. If it's explicitly written on paper you'd better follow it or prepared to be fired when being found out some day.

• @cheong said:

Well. These kind of work typically would be given a week or so to complete. If he wait till the last day to start, it's definately "procrastinated too much".

We don't know. Don't let speculation form your opinion.

@cheong said:

I can't see why he can't wait until the next day and ask for help from the teacher before the class starts.

Yeah, I can't recall the kind of pressure an end-term assignment would have.

@cheong said:

Let me remind you we're talking about homework

Why so serious?

It's obvious that the kid wants to learn and do a good job.

But, some other of the kids, that copied his assignment from a source the teacher doesn't know, will get full credit.

And this is how come all your co-workers are awful leeches.

@cheong said:

A rule is a rule. If it's explicitly written on paper you'd better follow it or prepared to be fired when being found out some day.

Said the boss at Enron.

I suppose quitting life is a good way to learn.

• @xaade said:

Why so serious?

It's obvious that the kid wants to learn and do a good job.

Well, maybe I've gone too serious on the topic.

It just got my nerve when seeing people doing thing that they shouldn't do. (And yes, I'm the kind of students who ask for mark deduction when teacher incorrectly marked some of my incorrect answer as correct, say in dictation or composition, in exams.)

• @cheong said:

It just got my nerve when seeing people doing thing that they shouldn't do. (And yes, I'm the kind of students who ask for mark deduction when teacher incorrectly marked some of my incorrect answer as correct, say in dictation or composition, in exams.)

Get some work experience outside of college.

Come back to this topic.

Revel in your newfound knowledge.

I'll pretend you agreed with me so you can take all the credit.

• I've been working for 10+ years now, the present tense I used in my previous reply is used to convey the idea that if I'm taking exam again, I won't desitate to lose marks that I don't deserve to get.

Losing marks in exam is minor issue, not being serious enough in our profession (either as student or in my/your current work) is not.

• @rc4 said:

Generally speaking, code inside of <pre> tags is not processed by the client.

Is this a new meme, or are people just stupid?

• If only employers shared your deontology.

Knowing how to march in a line ends at boot camp.

Look, I'm not advocating being unethical.

If a business is that uptight, I'll leave.

I'm going to work for the company that best supports my career.

But we're sidetracking here.

The part where the professor sounds the most silly is talking about other students plagurizing being the reason he's telling the student they might as well drop the class.

It's easy to get wrapped up in what the student should be doing, but the professor is also acting like an immature child here.

And not only did he do that, he publicly exposed the student.

It's like those videos of fathers shaving their kids bald on YouTube.

In no way is this good behavior to be teaching the student, no matter what the rules are.

Matter of fact, it reminds me of another thread around here about businesses doxxing their employees to stop criticism...

• @xaade said:

Doing what it takes to solve the problem is not a lack of seriousness.

Doing what it takes to solve the problem is not a lack of seriousness, but "doing what it takes but is explicitly forbidden to solve the problem is a lack of seriousness".

That is the only point I argue about, and I have no problem on the other points.

Say, you know a library which is using GPL-based licensing can solve problem in your commercial project your company is going to sell, and you know the company will not release the source code to public. Will you still propose to use it, or will you siliently add it to your project without obtaining authorization from the upper levels, or just try to read their source code and extract the relevent part to add to your project, or bite the bullet and code from the bottom based on publicly published specifications?

There is actually quite a number of scenarios around considering whether you should do something or not in our job, and that IMO is an important thing to teach in class.

• @cheong said:

you know a library

Say, that person has something you want.

Should you kill them for it.

Because that's totally comparable.

An accountant from Enron asks online about a particular law, and is told they might as well quit the job for exposing what the company might be doing.

Oh, if only there was some public way of anonymously asking questions....

You see, my ethics isn't tied to the rules of some company or professor.

• Wow, over 100 posts in and no one pointed out what the obvious bug in the code was.

Not sure if that means we have collective ADD or JPA induces mass PTSD...

• This post is deleted!

• I'm not saying anything about your ethics, just arguing there are many constraints to be followed during our daily tasks, if you're sent to work under some constraints that blocks you to do the work, either ask the one who set the constraint to remove it, or simply follow it.

• @cheong said:

He/She/It had time to post onto SO, and the professor was available enough to hit up SO to catch them doing it. A simple email to the professor asking for permission / help / extension of deadline would probably have worked.

Break the rules, get caught, accept the consequences. This is what the student has done, as a matter of fact; about the only thing he/she/it has done right.

• java.lang.NullPointerException
    at java.lang.String.split(String.java:2337)
    at java.lang.String.split(String.java:2422)
    at data.FxDataModel.<init>(FxDataModel.java:38)

Even if you don't know a lot in programming, I think it's obvious that something is null at the offending line (it can be "delimiter" or the result of reader.nextLine(), the line 38 in the code does not contain split() and therefore line number cannot be trusted, but there aren't a lot of line in the constructor that uses String.split()), which should be simple to test.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@cheong said:

the line 38 in the code does not contain split() and therefore line number cannot be trusted

So you're missing boilerplate. BFD.

@cheong said:

there aren't a lot of line in the constructor that uses String.split()

The #1 guess is probably the right one…

• More like:

try{
    ---->FileInputStream input = new FileInputStream(FxDataModel.FX_PRP_FILE_NAME_KEY);
         fxProps.load(input);
         input.close();
    }
    catch(IOException e)
    {
          FileInputStream input = null;
    }

context.getRealPath(fxProps.getProperty(FxDataModel.FX_RATE_FILE_NAME_KEY));

try{
    ---->FileInputStream input = new FileInputStream(FxDataModel.FX_RATE_FILE_NAME_KEY);
         fxProps.load(input);
         input.close(); 
    }
    catch(IOException e)
    {
         FileInputStream input = null;
    }

The property key name isn't the file location. Kid was on the right track though.

Filed Under: Learning how to debug is magic!

• Whatever... Note that I've put on "I don't know a lot in programming" hat on that reply, you shouldn't expect people who "don't know a lot in programming" to see through the problem, but to trace the origin of problem back step-by-step.

• Primary assumption around here is "you are a code monkey". By spider man rules, you get a pass on this one. That is your one pass. From now on the pedantic dick force will be in full effect. I suggest you clench your colon so shit doesn't leak everywhere.