Just finished transferring my Comcast account

• After putting in all of my information they send me to a live chat where the rep tells me he didn't get most of the information I put in.

He is very helpful and we get everything setup. Finally he tells me:

<font color="blue">Kevin(Tue Jun 17 2008 13:31:47 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time))>

Although Internet is already installed on your computer, it will need to be reinstalled, since the account number will change at the new address.

</font>

All this time I thought I was connecting to other computers when I used the Internet when, it turns out, it was actually all installed on my computer by the Comcast technician who didn't even know the difference between the MAC address for the USB port and the MAC address for the Ethernet port on the cable modem (forcing me to call Comcast to get my service working) when he first set me up.

• Ya gotta love those installation technicians - they're trained by the same folks who train the first level script-support-monkeys.

•  Okay, that's what he said, but what did it turn out he actually meant?  Expressing a coherent thought in incoherent terms is sorta a WTF, but not on the same level as believing the incoherent thing to be literally true, which doesn't sound like it was the case here.

• According to comcast reps I have spoken to, my 80% packet loss could be caused by:

A full browser cache
    Other computers nearby that are not hooked up to the network
    Not having a fully upgraded version of Internet Explorer
    A fragmented hard drive

Sure Mr. Level 1 support monkey, I'll clear IE's cookies for you, even though I've never launched IE on this machine before. I'm sure that will affect ICMP a lot. 

*cue MasterPlanSoftware with an outlandlishly negative tirade* 

• @Nether said:

Hooray for Nether!  He posted a troll and was potty trained in the same day!

• sekret PM club

@morbiuswilters said:

@Nether said:

Hooray for Nether!  He posted a troll and was potty trained in the same day!

Oh, I LOLed even though I was expecting it.

On topic, I always laugh when I hear people make comments about Comcast's installers. I work for the Geek Squad[1] here in northeast PA, and our in-home technicians have brought back a story or two regarding Comcast installers. Once one of our guys stood waiting for over an hour while the technician tried to figure out why the modem wasn't getting an IP address, must've checked ipconfig about 20 times, and was utterly shocked when our Agent got fed up, walked over, reset the modem, and it worked. Rule #1 of broken equipment: Reset it and see if it's still broken. After properly noting the problem, of course.

[1]: I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but it's what I can do to work in 'tech' (tech meaning fixing b0rked machines) until I can get something better.

• @e4tmyl33t said:

[1]: I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but it's what I can do to work in 'tech' (tech meaning fixing b0rked machines) until I can get something better.

Why do you think it would matter to us?  Most of the people here have probably taken crap jobs while working their way up or going to college.  Hell, at least you're working in tech, I spent 3 years doing handyman work during the day and working in a library at night.  Good luck, though.  Also, join the IRC channel sometime if you want, we always enjoy fresh meat raw, bloody meat gnawed straight from the bone.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Why do you think it would matter to us?

Well, there are a few people who would be into insulting someone with a lesser job... but I think we can protect this young one.