Windows 10 can-of-worms

• BINNED

@accalia said:

West, Katey

Left me a few seconds wondering since when Kanye started working on Futurama.

• @Onyx said:

To be fair, I don't think that "modern" apps ever had a windowed mode. So that's "new", in the context of modern apps, at least.

You could snap them side-by-side - no proper windowing, but you really don't need it when using touch.

And if you're not using touch, then stay the fuck away from Modern apps, they're horrible on desktop.

• :belt_onion:

Because

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden)

• @HardwareGeek said:

My P4 not-Extreme Edition with, I think 3GB, runs it surprisingly well. Surprising that it runs at all, sure, but amazingly it isn't all that much worse than more modern hardware.

I noticed a huge difference when I upgraded from Pentium 4 to Core 2, and almost no difference when I went from Core 2 to Core i5.

I think Sandy Bridge is going to be my Windows XP. I'll probably still be running it 10 years from now (assuming I don't blow it up somehow, which is unfortunately the usual reason for me to upgrade hardware).

• @mott555 said:

Sandy Bridge is going to be my Windows XP

Sandy Bridge to Haswell felt like a huge leap to me when I bought my newest laptop.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@aliceif said:

Sandy Bridge to Haswell felt like a huge leap to me when I bought my newest laptop.

I have laptops with both chips. I honestly cannot tell the difference between them from a seat of the pants feel.

Server-side, there is a HUGE difference on performance. But those are steady state loads, calculating a shitload of hashes in our case. It is to be expected.

• @Polygeekery said:

But those are steady state loads, calculating a shitload of hashes in our case. It is to be expected.

Got any Bitcoins yet?

• Grade A Premium Asshole

Ha. Not that sort of work.

• kills Dumbledore

@Polygeekery said:

Ha. Not that sort of work.

Ah. Wankcoins

• @RaceProUK said:

Why do people insist on blaming a raisin for things like this‽

If you need something to blame, I have about 0.5kg in my kitchen cabinet. I'm sure they won't object.

• @Polygeekery said:

I honestly cannot tell the difference between them from a seat of the pants feel.

I'm now running on a salvaged quad-core Xeon W3550 (Nehalem), and it really doesn't feel significantly faster. I think, for me, the bottleneck is the network, not the client CPU.

• I'm on the same boat with an old i5, but newer videogames are slowly but steadily starting to be bottlenecked by it. I'm probably going to have to change it in the next few years.

• @Magus said:

Windows 10 has been slow and buggy on my phone so far, but I expect that from unoptimised beta software Windows.

FTFY

• No? I expect Windows to run rather fast with no issues on my phone. Like it normally does.

• @Magus said:

No? I expect Windows to run rather fast with no issues on my phone. Like it normally does.

He's probably still using Windows 95 and hasn't even touched anything newer since then.

• @Rhywden said:

He's probably still using Windows 95 and hasn't even touched anything newer since then.

Been using Windows since version 1, up to Win7. Win8 is an unfinished disaster.

Win10 looks like a "progress" from 8. I may even put it on my gaming machine once it's done.

But my work machines and servers will stay on Linux since they need to just work 😃

• @Maciejasjmj said:

And if you're not using touch, then stay the fuck away from Modern apps, they're horrible on desktop.

So on this laptop they gave me, Fn + NumPadEnter brings up the calculator. That's convenient!

gets metro calculator that fills entire screen for no good reason

🖕

• @TimeBandit said:

Win8 is an unfinished disaster.

Well, good thing they released a finished version called "Windows 8.1" ...

• Aaah, the LAPTOP-brand laptops. Sign of quality.

• :belt_onion:

@Bort said:

gets better metromodern calculator that fills entire screen for no good reason

MTFY

• @TimeBandit said:

Linux since they need to just work

Like SSL!

• @Maciejasjmj said:

Aaah, the LAPTOP-brand laptops. Sign of quality.

Actually, they wrote "LAPTOP" on there so I could remember what it was.

It's a shear coincidence that it also happens to be LAPTOP brand.

• @TimeBandit said:

Been using Windows since version 1, up to Win7. Win8 is an unfinished disaster.

Win10 looks like a "progress" from 8. I may even put it on my gaming machine once it's done.

But my work machines and servers will stay on Linux since they need to just work 😃

My dear, if you're unable to discern between the UI and the kernel, then you should probably search for another line of work.

Win8.1 is neither buggy nor slow and I can point to several Linux UIs which also have been unfinished disasters. Didn't we have just recently a megathread about the Enlightenment SDK? There's also been the catastrophe called "KDE4" which, according to users, shall be repeated with the switch to KDE5. And there's also been Gnome3 which, as I understand it, wasn't exactly met with universal love either.

• @TimeBandit said:

Win8 is an unfinished disaster.

Is that better or worse than a finished disaster?

• FoxDev

@Jaloopa said:

Ah. Wankcoins

enjoy your mediocre post :badger:

• @Rhywden said:

My dear, if you're unable to discern between the UI and the kernel, then you should probably search for another line of work.

My dear, if you decode that from what I said, you need to get reading comprehension courses

• @blakeyrat said:

Is that better or worse than a finished disaster?

Worst.

• @TimeBandit said:

My dear, if you decode that from what I said, you need to get reading comprehension courses

You said "buggy and slow". Win8.1 is neither.

The only one point of Win8.1 one could arguably call an "unfinished disaster" is the UI. The kernel is rocksolid.

Maybe you should work on comprehending what you're saying yourself? You seem to have problems understanding your own statements.

• @Rhywden said:

You said "buggy and slow". Win8.1 is neither.

Scroll up the thread, it was a quote from Magus talking about WinPhone 10.

• @TimeBandit said:

Scroll up the thread, it was a quote from Magus talking about WinPhone 10.

Then you maybe shouldn't have "fixed" his reply to state Windows. Here, I quoted it. So, not only reading comprehension problems but also short-term memory loss.

@TimeBandit said:

@Magus said:
    Windows 10 has been slow and buggy on my phone so far, but I expect that from unoptimised beta software Windows.

FTFY

By the way: Windows Phone 8 is also neither slow nor buggy.

• @Rhywden said:

@TimeBandit said:
    @Magus said:

FTFY

And you read that as me saying that Win8.1 is "buggy and slow" ?

• FoxDev

@TimeBandit said:

Is Win8.1 Windows?

• @TimeBandit said:

What other version of Windows are we talking about? Previous versions like 95, 98 and XP which don't really matter anymore, or the pretty much stable, fast and non-buggy versions since 7? (Vista has been pretty fine since the later Service Packs, by the way).

And if we were talking about Windows 10 - then your statement makes even less sense.

You're not allowed to pick and choose. Then again, you're probably one of those guys who still insist on writing Microsoft with a $ sign.

• @Rhywden said:

What other version of Windows are we talking about?

WinPhone 10 ! That's what was in the quote.

• Yes, Windows 10 seems to perform pretty well and I haven't had any problems with crashing. However, performance doesn't mean much when you've pretty much destroyed usability. Memo to Microsoft: Little things are important.

I want to like Windows 10. I really do. I've always been eager to get the newest version of anything, as soon as I can. Windows 8 and 10 have broken me of that behavior.

In no particular order:
    (Note: Some of these problems may have originated in Windows 8, but very few people use Win 8 and so this is written from the viewpoint of a person going from XP or Win 7 --> to Win10)

Recycle Bin -- Right click on the Recycle Bin. First item on the list is "Open", second item is "Empty Recycle Bin". It's been that way for as long as there has been a Recycle Bin.

Welcome to Windows 10 where the second item on the menu is no longer "Empty Recycle Bin". It has been replaced with "Pin to Quick Access" and "Empty Recycle Bin" is now third. So now, every time I want to empty the Recycle Bin, I pin it to the Quick Access folder instead. 20 years of muscle memory out the window. And for what? A "feature" whose usefulness is highly questionable. Little things are important.

Windows Explorer -- Now renamed to File Explorer. The biggest change is the replacement of the menu bar, that has been standard on all Windows programs for 20 years, with the God Awful Ribbon®.

No more .

Now, all your functions are scattered about in various places with names that give you no clue what they are for.

Cut, Copy and Paste, among others, are no longer under a menu called "Edit". No, there's no longer any menu heading called Edit. Now they are all under "Home".

WTF does that even mean?

Tools? You'll eventually find it. Way over on the far right end of the God Awful Ribbon® as a submenu under "Options".

The Start Menu -- Windows 10's big claim to fame is The Return Of The Start Menu.

Don't believe the hype. All you get is a faux Start Menu that is nearly useless and lacks most of the functionality found in the real Start Menu of Windows 7 (and earlier). Fortunately, there's a free program called Classic Shell that gives you a real honest-to-goodness Start Menu, just like God intended.

However, having to resort to third part addons to fix things that never should have been changed in the first place, and the fact that Windows XP (now nearly 14 years old), has a better, more functional Start Menu than Windows 10, is just another sad commentary on the truly awful UI that is Windows 10.

New Security Model -- And you thought UAC was annoying. You ain't seen nothin' yet. Windows Vista introduced the concept of The Administrator Who Isn't Really An Administrator and now Microsoft has pulled out all the stops in their effort to make Windows 10 the most annoying OS ever.

Welcome to Windows 10, The OS Where Nothing Is Allowed. Everything you do will result in a dialog box telling you that you "Don't Have Permission". And I do mean EVERYTHING. Even something as trivial as deleting an item from the faux Start Menu triggers a dialog requiring you to Click Here To Provide Authorization.

Want to unzip a bunch of files to a folder that doesn't exist? No problem. Just give WinRAR the name you want and it will create the destination folder for you. Oops. Sorry. You're running Windows 10. The operation will fail. Even if you tell winrar.exe to "Run as Administrator". So you have to use File Explorer to create the destination directory first, then unrar or unzip into it.

Try to create a shortcut in certain directories? Sorry not allowed, but Windows will (un)helpfully offer to create the shortcut on the desktop instead. And then, you can drag the shortcut from the desktop to the location where you really want it. That works just fine. My head is starting to hurt.

I did manage to eliminate most of this nonsense by running a script that changes the permissions on every file and directory on my computer. Another shining example of how Microsoft is going that extra mile to make you hate your computer.

Note to Microsoft: I don't have permission?? IT'S MY F***ING COMPUTER!! Whoever is responsible for this nonsense should be killed to death repeatedly. Yes, I know, there are parents with small, unruly children and businesses with small, unruly employees, who need this sort of "security". That's fine. But that's your problem, not mine. Stop making it my problem. Nobody touches my computer but me, and if you aren't going to give me a way to easily turn this crap off, then you really need to FOAD.

• @TimeBandit said:

WinPhone 10 ! That's what was in the quote.

No, doesn't work that way my dear. You said "Windows". And not "Windows Phone 10". As in: You used a general, unspecific form.

So, if you indeed meant "Windows Phone 10" then you were saying that you expected an unfinished and buggy product to be unfinished and buggy. Well, okay, but doesn't exactly raise my opinion of your general IQ.

It's rather more likely that you meant Windows in general (just like you stated - general form, remember?) Hence my asking whether you used anything beyond 95. Because the later versions (beginning with 7) were very much not buggy and slow.

So, either you used a tautology or you were simply dumb. Which is it?

• FoxDev

@Mike_Hunt said:

tl;dr

Translation: I don't like change! :wambulance:

• @RaceProUK said:

Translation: I don't like change! :wambulance:

I'm also a bit dubious as to why his problems with WinRAR couldn't, like, stem from WinRAR and not Windows?

• @Mike_Hunt said:

Right click on the Recycle Bin. [...] 20 years of muscle memory out the window.

shift + del

@Mike_Hunt said:

God Awful Ribbon

Of course you're one of those people

@Mike_Hunt said:

And you thought UAC was annoying.

Of course you're one of those people

• @Mike_Hunt said:

Windows Explorer -- Now renamed to File Explorer.

It's been this way for years now. You might also want to collapse the ribbon, so it takes up less space when it isn't in use, but it's definitely more usable now.

@Mike_Hunt said:

Don't believe the hype. All you get is a faux Start Menu that is nearly useless and lacks most of the functionality found in the real Start Menu of Windows 7

All anyone has ever complained about when it comes to the start screen was that things were too large, so mouse movements were too large. This is fixed. It's fixed. Unless you want to make it large again, which you can do. No one needs a billion messy folders full of pdfs no one wants to read.

@Mike_Hunt said:

New Security Model

What are you smoking? None of this happens.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Mike_Hunt said:

Even something as trivial as deleting an item from the faux Start Menu triggers a dialog requiring you to Click Here To Provide Authorization.

What?

• @loopback0 said:

What?

I just spun up my Win10 installation - I'm also not quite sure what he's talking about.

• I assume he's talking about the same thing you get in Windows Vista/7 if you try to delete an item from the Start Menu which is actually located in the All Users area (i.e. "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" in Win7), so it requires administrator permissions.

• The bickering EXPLODES across the screen!

• FoxDev

@ChaosTheEternal said:

if you try to delete an item from the Start Menu which is actually located in the All Users area

A detail which is hidden from the user, hence the confusion.

Solution?… *shrugs*

• @Mike_Hunt said:

Right click on the Recycle Bin. First item on the list is "Open", second item is "Empty Recycle Bin". It's been that way for as long as there has been a Recycle Bin.

Welcome to Windows 10 where the second item on the menu is no longer "Empty Recycle Bin". It has been replaced with "Pin to Quick Access" and "Empty Recycle Bin" is now third. So now, every time I want to empty the Recycle Bin, I pin it to the Quick Access folder instead. 20 years of muscle memory out the window. And for what? A "feature" whose usefulness is highly questionable. Little things are important.

Where to start...

You don't look at a menu item before clicking on it to see if it's the right one?

How frequently are you emptying your recycle bin? Every time you delete something? Every day? Once a month? Or just when you start to run out of space?

If you're emptying the recycle bin so often, wouldn't quick access be a useful thing? Can you right-click in quick access and empty it? (I don't know)

• @blakeyrat said:

The bickering EXPLODES across the screen!

It looks so different from the outside, doesn't it?

• Blakey doesn't bicker. He states facts.

• I could only think of two solutions off the top of my head; the first would effectively break how the start menu works and the second would take a long time to write out and probably have issues anyways.

It makes sense to not allow deleting those shortcuts without admin permission because they are installed for all users of the computer, so deleting it affects all users.

• FoxDev

@ChaosTheEternal said:

I could only think of two solutions off the top of my head; the first would effectively break how the start menu works and the second would take a long time to write out and probably have issues anyways.

Is that second one something I just thought of, perchance? Basically, prompt with

This shortcut is available to all users; admin permission is required to delete it. Are you sure?

And then if you hit Yes, you get the UAC elevation as normal. Hit No, and nothing changes.