Should big digressions be split to a new topic?

• ♿ (Parody)

@darkmatter said:

Animals can not consent. Same as rape.

But we kill animals all the time without their consent. Is that worse? I think having sex with animals is gross and possibly dangerous, but it doesn't seem wrong to me in the same way as murdering a person does.

• @darkmatter said:

It is not some magical gateway because there is a clearly defined line.

From what I've seen, it's a magical gateway to loud music and fabulous dancing (I have family that is gay, and I've been to a few gay bars)

• @darkmatter said:

Right wing wants power over your lifestyle, morals, and religion to prevent you from doing things that are different from how they want to live their own lives. Ie, no non-heterosexuality, no non-christian religions or atheists. As a side-item, they want the government to be less authoritarian over people who do subscribe to their viewpoints, but for the people that don't... well you're all screwed. Oh, and they want less government income because screw you people who are poor. from the wealthy, even though there is nowhere else that funding could come from.

Most people consider me a right-winger, and most people in my circle are right-wingers too. I don't know any right-winger who would agree with anything in your assessment of right-wingers.

Filed under: It's almost like this guy gets his opinions from a satirist pretending to be a news anchor.

• @boomzilla said:

I think having sex with animals is gross and possibly dangerou

Funny related quote - to politics and animal sex

• :belt_onion:

@boomzilla said:

But we kill animals all the time without their consent. Is that worse? I think having sex with animals is gross and possibly dangerous, but it doesn't seem wrong to me in the same way as murdering a person does.

Killing animals is illegal if done in an "inhumane" way, I'm pretty sure. I think sex with them can count in that definition of inhumane ;)

Anyway, I've got to head to an event, so no more quick-replies. It was a good discussion, and I have definitely learned some on the topics.

@mott555 said:

Most people consider me a right-winger, and most people in my circle are right-wingers too. I don't know any right-winger who would agree with anything in your assessment of right-wingers.

Really? You must not read a lot of political news...?
    Hell, just this week Rick Perry compared Homosexuality to Alcoholism as a reason that it should be legal to have camps for "correcting" homosexuality....

• ♿ (Parody)

@mott555 said:

I don't know any right-winger who would agree with anything in your assessment of right-wingers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideological_Turing_Test

• @darkmatter said:

So basically the $15/hr minimum wage sucks because the businesses decided to screw their employees over in other ways. Nice. That really shows how much the upper class cares :)

Think about it: business had to increase minimum wages from about $9/hour (current Washington state minimum) to $15/hour. That money had to come from somewhere, and many of the affected business are small business or franchises, not the big companies run by people pulling in 7 or 8 figure salaries. Their options basically included:

• Cut back on other benefits
    • Reduce the number of employees
    • Increase prices

The businesses that are going to be the most successful at navigating this change probably picked a combination of the three. Most businesses probably picked one or two.

@darkmatter said:

a company with 5 CEOs

Hmmm, how many companies out there actually have more than one CEO? I think you meant executive officers.

Keep in mind that, in general, the economy tends to adjust for changes in minimum wage. Over time, other salaries will rise accordingly. This leads to employees being paid what they're worth. And let's be honest, not every job is worth a living wage. The absurdity is when someone expects to be able to support a family of 5 doing a job that a high school student can do just as well. Is that job worth paying a living wage? If you were given the option, would you want to pay the living wage to a high school student?

Ha.

And I named a ton of real world examples of right-wing behaviors, so I fail to see how Mott could not know a right-winger that "agrees with anything in my assessment".... That's no assessment, those are real things going on in the real world.

• ♿ (Parody)

@darkmatter said:

Hell, just this week Rick Perry compared Homosexuality to Alcoholism as a reason that it should be legal to have camps for "correcting" homosexuality....

But how is that using the government to make your lifestyle illegal?

It seems like for some people, there is no choice for sexual preference (I've certainly never felt that there was one for me) and for some there is. If a person thinks he has a choice, and wants to change, should that be illegal?

Note that we already have plenty of laws about holding people against their will or doing violence to them, so objections about that sort of thing don't work here, as it's already illegal and not what he was saying.

@abarker said:

Hmmm, how many companies out there actually have more than one CEO? I think you meant executive officers.

I did, and I corrected it later. C-Level. Not executive officers or CEOs. C-Level Officers.

Also, did you not read the maybe half-dozen times I said I'm not for the minimum wage increase because I don't think it will help anything because the C-Levels in charge will inflate everything and cut benefits to make up the difference, so effectively nothing changes except middle classers who already made 15$+ get fucked?

So yea.

• ♿ (Parody)

@darkmatter said:

I fail to see how Mott could not know a right-winger that "agrees with anything in my assessment"

Firstly, he's from Australia, so we have to question how watered down their right wingers really are. And there's a lot to be said about how you phrase something, especially when you're dealing with motives, which you did.

• @darkmatter said:

Really? You must not read a lot of political news...?Hell, just this week Rick Perry compared Homosexuality to Alcoholism as a reason that it should be legal to have camps for "correcting" homosexuality....

I don't pay much attention to political news because it's pretty much always one side skewing the other side's words way out of context or even outright lying. It's all bait-and-switch reporting designed to get people to click their articles and generate ad income.

And the whole "correcting" homosexuality thing? Seems to work for some people (though the media wants to pretend that's not so), who am I to suppress their choices and tell them they're wrong for voluntarily seeking counseling if they don't like something about themselves? But I digress from the topic here...

@boomzilla said:

he's from Australia

Oh. Jeez, right winger probably means liberal communist there for all I know ;)

No wonder.

And seriously, I'm out - gotta go. Will read later if this hasn't hit like 500 posts by tonight!

• @darkmatter said:

hit like 500 posts by tonight

It might if we can get @flabdablet in here...

• @boomzilla said:

Firstly, he's from Australia, so we have to question how watered down their right wingers really are. And there's a lot to be said about how you phrase something, especially when you're dealing with motives, which you did.

Are we talking about me? I live in Nebraska, not Australia. The Midwest is like 80% conservative/right-wing.

@darkmatter said:

And I named a ton of real world examples of right-wing behaviors, so I fail to see how Mott could not know a right-winger that "agrees with anything in my assessment".... That's no assessment, those are real things going on in the real world.

I suspect your real-world examples were really the media's cherry-picked moments of stupidity designed to make people hate the right wing rather than actually being a real-world sampling of real-world right-wingers.

• @darkmatter said:

And seriously, I'm out - gotta go. Will read later if this hasn't hit like 500 posts by tonight!

lol at this rate we'll hit 500 in about 20 minutes.

• ♿ (Parody)

@mott555 said:

Are we talking about me? I live in Nebraska, not Australia. The Midwest is like 80% conservative/right-wing.

Oops. Guess I mixed you up with someone else. And fucking Discourse hides our location indicators.

• Yeah, Discourse doesn't really encourage reading all of the new posts before replying. Sorry about that.

• And other forums DO?

• ♿ (Parody)

True, but it's actually easier to have more or less real time discussions here. Even if I read the whole thing, I can check another topic with unread junk from the bottom and by the time I finish there, something new is here!

It's actually easy to start a reply and keep reading, and reply to other stuff. I've done this sometimes, but not enough.

I think we can excuse you, because who could have predicted that @darkmatter was the sort of guy able to admit it when he got something wrong? Game theory says go ahead and flame away, not worth the time to see if he already admitted something.

• @boomzilla said:

And fucking Discourse hides our location indicators.

I thought we were told there was no way anyone would ever want to know where a user is from? I guess We're Doing It Wrong™.

@abarker said:

Yeah, Discourse doesn't really encourage reading all of the new posts before replying. Sorry about that.

I think we have a barrier to reading here.

Filed Under: Trollin' Trollin' Trollin'

• @boomzilla said:

But for it to really be a "fuck the poor and middle classes" situation, the taxes would have to have been raised for the poor and middle class, no? Your statistics may be evidence of that, but I'm skeptical

That's more or less how I remember it, yeah. Tax breaks meant that the "official" tax burden for the richest 15-20% has been on a downward slope since the '80s, and access to tax "efficiency" measures mean that the only people getting their tax burden increased were the rest of the population. That said, I can't lay my hands on the source, so it's all merely hearsay based on my dodgy booze-addled memory

And hey, I'm off to bed.

• At least with CS you could put the reply in a new window. It would automagically quote the post for you so you could remember what you were replying to, and it would sit out of the way while you caught up with the topic. Here, the reply just sits at the bottom, begging to be posted.

• ♿ (Parody)

@mott555 said:

I thought we were told there was no way anyone would ever want to know where a user is from? I guess We're Doing It Wrong™.

Yeah. I would be really happy if we could get rid of some of the RHS whitespace by shifting stuff over to get more detailed user information in the LHS by default. At least for the desktop view, I assume mobile users might not have a lot of extra space.

Filed Under: Now get off my lawn

• @abarker said:

At least with CS you could put the reply in a new window. It would automagically quote the post for you so you could remember what you were replying to, and it would sit out of the way while you caught up with the topic. Here, the reply just sits at the bottom, begging to be posted.

I miss middle-clicking on the Reply buttons and getting on with my reading.

• Just think it could be worse. Middle click could unfold an otherwise hidden sidebar, unless you middle clicked on a link.

Filed under: I know web software that actually does this

• ♿ (Parody)

@tufty said:

That's more or less how I remember it, yeah. Tax breaks meant that the "official" tax burden for the richest 15-20% has been on a downward slope since the '80s, and access to tax "efficiency" measures mean that the only people getting their tax burden increased were the rest of the population.

It might be true in the case of things like sales taxes, which are generally regressive. But certainly not income taxes. Maybe income taxes in some states, but definitely not for federal rates, where over 40% of earners pay no tax, and some get paid.

• Banned

@mott555 said:

I miss middle-clicking on the Reply buttons and getting on with my reading.

I don't see a reason why we could not support that. Would just need to figure out how it fits in with drafts etc.

• BINNED

"Reductio Ad Absurdum" is not in and of itself a fallacy. Neither is "Slippery Slope". Both are essentially similar. Both of these only become fallacious when your chain of logic falls apart. Mathematically analogous versions of these are , or even .

These are completely valid as long as everything in the "yada yada" ( ) sections are also valid. If that was not so, most of our technology and science would be nonexistent.

• BINNED

@DrakeSmith said:

hoose Glenn Beck, and they are probably atheists that hate religion.

I'm not sure how you conflated Beck and atheism...Glenn Beck and Religion

• BINNED

Just to toss another hat in the ring especially in re "economic equality" which cannot in fact exist…
    The TL;DR version is wealth/money/economic power follow the Boltzmann-Gibbs distribution for thermal equilibrium.

• @M_Adams said:

I'm not sure how you conflated Beck and atheism...Glenn Beck and Religion

I think you missed the point my of my post. I wasn't saying people who choose to listen or follow, but what statement people take the most offense at.

Liberals most offended by me saying I agree with Ann Coulter are probably feminists because they think women have a right to choose, unless they choose conservatism or traditional values since that's just so wrong. Hence my assumption if they are most offended by her, they hate men.

Liberals most offended by Limbaugh typically think he's racist, and most probably assume anybody who disagrees with them is racist. Hence my assumption about them being offended by him.

Liberals most offended by Glenn Beck are probably offended by his repeated call to religion and worship, which is why I stated they were most likely atheists.

Liberals offended most by the fact that I don't like the president have most likely not heard much about the others since they tick liberals off so bad, and so are most likely just believing what the media is telling them.

• BINNED

Gotcha… ¿I think?… and yeah I entirely missed the point.

However, going back through the thread, that specific point was not very well ¿enunciated? for lack of a better term. Either that or being up for 32 hrs has caused brain rot. (50/50 chance?).

I personally find both the liberals and conservatives in this country (USA) to be immoral, unethical, nasty, brutish people. Oddly enough, I tend to really offend them. Oh well:

It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?

--I saw hate in a graveyard - Stephen Fry, The Guardian, 2005.

@M_Adams said:

I personally find both the liberals and conservatives in this country (USA) to be immoral, unethical, nasty, brutish people. Oddly enough, I tend to really offend them.

Exactly. Which is how I've offended all the people here, and why they all seem to think I'm a liberal. I was going to offend whichever party is the most represented, and that appears to be rightwingers, which makes me look left wing. On most tests for party-leaning, I score as fiscally conservative by a mile, and moderate in most other areas. True fiscal conservatism, not the "fiscal conservatism" rampant in the republican party of late, which has been about promising less taxes all the while keeping the same amount of government crap and more or less the same amount of spending.

Had this been a forum full of liberals, I'd have taken them to task for stupid things random liberals want to do, like outlaw soda. But it's not. If I wanted to see people make fun of liberals in a room full of conservatives, I'd turn on Fox news.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Arantor said:

Just think it could be worse. Middle click could unfold an otherwise hidden sidebar, unless you middle clicked on a link.

Filed under: I know web software that actually does this

I hate that web software already.

• Fuck, you're trying to raise your minimum wages to fifteen fucking dollars? Here, a senior programmer usually doesn't make much more. And sure, the prices for most things are lower, but still...

...does anybody have a green card to spare?

As a side note, they tried raising minimum wages here too. What happened is that now you can't get an honest full-time job in most of the low-skill sector - instead, you get kind of a contract work agreement, which basically means the employer can set any terms of salary he pleases.

• ♿ (Parody)

@darkmatter said:

Had this been a forum full of liberals,

There are plenty of them around.

• Yeah it's a pretty good mix here usually

• kills Dumbledore

Randomly necroing this thread because it came up with a grey circle for some reason

Well, Discourse, you probably shouldn't have pointed it out to me, should you?

• Odd, it had a gray circle for me, too. Made me wonder if a post was deleted.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

I got that circle too, but mine was blue.

• Double-necroed

• On a hindsight, I didn't @abarker split this topic, in the most annoying way possible?

• @fbmac said:

I didn't @abarker split this topic

What's an @abarker split? And why didn't you do it?

• I assume it's something like TDWTF truffle shuffle.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t5whaRkuipU

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@hungrier said:

@abarker said:
    I really don't like what @codinghorror does with his mod powers.

Or his posting. Or really anything he has done with the forum.

😆