enum Foo
    {
        A,
        B,
        C
    };

Q_DECLARE_METATYPE(Foo)

My code, causing the compiler to throw a hissy fit:

enum QDiscourseNotificationType { Invalid, Mentioned, Replied, Quoted, Edited, Liked, PrivateMessage, InvitedToPrivateMessage, InviteeAccepted, Posted, MovedPost, Linked, GrantedBadge };

Q_DECLARE_METATYPE(QDiscourseNotificationType)

:angry:

Filed under: Discourse's syntax highlighter blows goats

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Please let it not be that the newlines are a required part of the syntax.

• BINNED

Nah, I fixed it. Apparently you're not allowed to call QT_DECLARE_METATYPE inside a class definition. The problem is I had another piece of code erroring out when I moved it to the proper place, so it confused me to no end.

• So?

That just means TWO game companies are making too many of the same games. What other point exactly is that supposed to convey?

"Nazis murdered a lot of people!" {shows chart of how many people Mao murdered} "Oh I guess Nazis are alright then, let's invite them to our party."

• Remember that brouhaha a few years ago about retailers like Walmart taking out life insurance policies on employees with themselves as the sole beneficiary? I wonder if that's still done/legal... the mass media seems to have forgotten about it.

Were they claiming that this was a benefit that the employee was receiving? Or failing to take appropriate steps to prevent harm from coming to employees while they were doing company business? Either of those would be really scummy, otherwise what's to get excited about?

• Garbage Person

It's pretty fucking scummy in Walmart's case.

I can see it and don't mind it in situations like mine where there's a real cost to replacing employees.

• @dkf said:

Were they claiming that this was a benefit that the employee was receiving?

No; the employee knew nothing about it at all.

Honestly I don't remember the details, I just read it said "huh" and moved on.

@Weng said:

I can see it and don't mind it in situations like mine where there's a real cost to replacing employees.

Well, there's different sorts of employees too. For a shelf-stacker? Why would you ever do that. For a chief produce buyer? I can see that being a tricky position to replace. As long as it is not a replacement for spending appropriate amounts on employee safety and security, it's not too big a deal.

@Weng said:

Right, but if you decided to leave tomorrow, the same cost exists.
    The 50% beneficiary suggests that your estate (or family or whatever) gets only 50% of it.
    Unless you meant it's 100% to your estate (or family or whatever) and another 50% to the company?

I get pension contributions matched up to 10%, plus life insurance for 4x my salary.

Right now: apparently, I'm building LLVM with a Go backend.

• Garbage Person

The base policy is 50% salary to the company, 50% to named beneficiary or estate.

For basically no money whatsoever (3 bucks a month), you can employee-contribute that up to 1150% salary to named beneficiary or estate, 50% to the company.

And what the hell is a pension? Those still exist? We used to get 401k matching, but they stopped abruptly 3 days before my first paycheck, so I literally never got that benefit despite having been hired with it as a documented benefit.

HR and I had a DISCUSSION shortly thereafter whereupon I learned that they are irredeemable pieces of shit with no human empathy whatsoever. This was later reinforced when they refused to send out the condolences email when one of my long term contractors died - because he was a contractor, and contractors don't count. Meanwhile, they send out those emails for every dead parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle, sibling, dog, cat, snapping turtle etc. of every single person who takes a day off work for a funeral. I literally get a half dozen of them on any given day.

@Weng said:

HR and I had a DISCUSSION shortly thereafter whereupon I learned that they are irredeemable pieces of shit with no human empathy whatsoever.

QFT.

• ♿ (Parody)

@dkf said:

You still want to work for people who pull that sort of shit on you?

All other things being equal? No. But everything else isn't equal, and overall I quite like my job and the people I work with. And they've taken care of me over the years.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

Remember that brouhaha a few years ago about retailers like Walmart taking out life insurance policies on employees with themselves as the sole beneficiary? I wonder if that's still done/legal... the mass media seems to have forgotten about it.

Googling around, seems like it's still legal, though some stuff might have changed. I have a hard time getting worked up about this unless companies were subsequently trying to kill their employees. It looks like it was more of a tax dodge, since the payouts were not taxed, and they could borrow against the policies and then expense the interest payments.

It's a little creepy, I guess, but I'd worry more about the sort of worrywart who whines about this sort of thing than the practice itself.

• And done!

If that ends up as short as 5h19, I'll be very startled…

Representative assert:

assert((control = CONTROL_DISABLED) == CONTROL_DISABLED);

@dkf said:

If that ends up as short as 5h19, I'll be very startled…

Me too.

@CreatedToDislikeThis said:

Representative assert:

Either some one is a complete bloody idiot, or it is C++ and the author is an evil git who has overridden either the assignment operator or the equality operator.

Or both.

• ♿ (Parody)

First meatloaf of the year is in the oven!

• I feel like Google dramatically underestimates drive times for me too; for trips that it says are, say, 6 hours it seems like it is commonly under by a good hour.

I drive slower than most people, but still above the limit in most situations...

• Garbage Person

Status: Basement full of water. Fucking water heater split open.

• I bet someone wishes they had a BRAND NEW WATER HEATER, like a certain rat of blakey.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

Presumably he verified it was actually leaking and the water is not coming from somewhere else entirely...

Unlike when a rat of blakey replaced a functioning water heater when it was an electrical issue. ;-)

• Status: Trying to convert this Javascript function into a Rust equivalent. (Should be easy enough, right?)

function closure(start) {
        var v = start;
        return function(a) {
            console.log(v + " + " + a + " = " + (+v + a));
            v += a;
            return v;
        }
    }

Wishing that "explicit lifetime bounds" were documented in a comprehensible manner anywhere on the whole of the internet:

closure.rs:3:32: 3:45 help: this function's return type contains a borrowed value, but the signature does not say which one of `start`'s 0 elided lifetimes it is borrowed from
    closure.rs:3 fn make_closure(start: i32) -> &Fn<i32, i32> {
                                                ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
    closure.rs:3:33: 3:45 error: explicit lifetime bound required
    closure.rs:3 fn make_closure(start: i32) -> &Fn<i32, i32> {
                                                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT: This the the entirety of Rust's closure reference docs? TINLEYR

• (Continuing my exciting Rust development in the exciting Rust thread...)

Oh, and why not Status: Trying to copy a comment from one topic to another is a fiddly and irritating business, and I am currently to irritated to attempt to write out a process to do it properly, but you must Discosearch for the new topic from the old topic, you can't just open a new tab and paste in the URL and expect to see all your composed text ready to post...

• Status: Got trolled by libxml2. I have defined a callback function which is called when the SAX parser encounters an error; it’s a variadic function which takes a const char* format.
    I got lazy and wrote this:

void error_callback(void* context, char* format, ...)
    {
     internal_log("SAX parse error: %s", format);
    }

because after all the format string should give enough information about the problem, right?

Well, I now have this in my logs:

SAX parse error: %s

@dkf said:

If that ends up as short as 5h19, I'll be very startled

4h40 down. 96 miles left 😮

• kills Dumbledore

@Weng said:

And what the hell is a pension? Those still exist?

This came up here a while ago. IIRC, we don't have pensions in the original sense in the UK any more, but our retirement savings, which are pretty similar to a 401k, are still known as pensions because people were used to the name and there isn't an alternative name that's memorable like 401k

• Status: supposed to review a paper on software architecture evolution; procrastinating instead.

• kills Dumbledore

Replace all instances of "Evolution" in the paper with "Inteligent Design"

• Hmm. I might add that to my review, since they are trying to add traceability support under the assumption that architecture evolution is done intelligently. It's not, it is random at best and destructive at most.

• Garbage Person

This'll be water heater number four. I have not met a class of appliance as likely to self destruct immediately upon warranty expiration.

• Status: My intern was tasked with compiling a table showing product conversion per customer for our 5-6 most popular products. This is what he produced (anonymized):

I just explained to him the concept of multi-column table headers.

• At least your basement had clean water in it...

• @Weng said:

This'll be water heater number four. I have not met a class of appliance as likely to self destruct immediately upon warranty expiration.

Here's a tip:

There's a bar of an easily corroded metal (either magnesium or aluminum) threaded into the top of your hot water tank somewhere (older tanks have a separate hex on top for it, newer ones likely hide it under one of the pipe fittings on top). This bar is slowly eaten away to keep your water heater from rusting out; when it expires, the water heater is a) out of warranty (seriously, water heater warranty lengths are based on typical anode lifespan for that model) and b) liable to dump its contents in the near future. However, replacements for that bar do exist, and replacing it on a regular basis + flushing the sediment out of your water heater tank allows you to keep a water heater going strong far past the expiration date on the warranty.

• Status: It's been far too long since I posted a Dwarf Fortress screenshot as my status.

• kills Dumbledore

@ben_lubar said:

far too long

It really hasn't

• See how it says "idlers: 7"? That's because I wrote some code last night that adds the profession of a dwarf to some log messages that get printed when a bedroom is assigned. Except I did this:

if caption = DFHack::Profession.caption(u.profession)

instead of this

if caption = DFHack::Profession::Caption[u.profession]

and it crashed the plan module and the population module, so my fortress consisted of two workshops that were built before the bedrooms were assigned, two tiny farm plots, and some orders to make items that couldn't be made because there were no other workshops.

• kills Dumbledore

@ben_lubar said:

two workshops that were built before the bedrooms were assigned, two tiny farm plots

Which of those is the turd from the screenshot?

• BINNED

@ben_lubar said:

far too long

I bet you can do better phallus shapes then that ...

• This is the number of dwarves that do not have a job and are just standing around doing nothing. You want to keep this at 0.

This is the FPS meter, with simulation ticks per second on the left and graphical updates per second on the right. By default, the game is limited to 100 (50) but I changed it to 100 (5) because I'm not interacting with the game directly.

This is three up-down staircases. Dwarves can use these to move between z-levels.

This is an empty farm plot.

This is a farm plot with 7 plump helmets ready for harvesting, 1 planted seed that hasn't grown yet (on the left), and 1 withered plant (lower right). If the plump helmets don't get harvested, and put into a stockpile, they will wither. Plump helmets are a type of purple mushroom that grows during the entire year underground and can be turned into wine, cooked, or eaten raw.

This is a masonry workshop.

This is a carpentry workshop.

It isn't easy to do with ASCII art.

• @Luhmann said:

I bet you can do better phallus shapes then that ...

The government offices are on the left.

@ben_lubar said:

plump helmets

Giggity

• ==> gamelog.txt <==
    Construct rock Throne (4) has been completed.
    Nish Zuglarirtir has become a broker.

==> df-ai.log <==
    00250-02-24:0622 assigning labor MINE to Nish Zuglarirtir, broker (idle)
    00250-02-24:0788 furnish chair in 358 nobleroom (office) (owned by Reg Isaksazir, bookkeeper) (finished)

==> gamelog.txt <==
    Construct rock Armor Stand (1) has been completed.

==> df-ai.log <==
    00250-02-26:0327 furnish weaponrack in 179 barracks (used by The Sacrificial Vessels) (dig)
    00250-02-27:0030 updating stocks

• kills Dumbledore

Your new tactic is to keep posting far too much detail about the "game" whenever somebody insults it? You could always just shut up about it instead

You must be new here?