Don't let physics majors masquerading as electrical engineers code

• Not working for me.

• :belt_onion:

So bizarre, it doesn't even print any of the first part of the mess at all, but you can see it if you fullquote me or view the raw.

• :belt_onion:

@darkmatter said:

it doesn't even print any of the first part of the mess at all,

Which sucks because it's kind of a useless bug as far as XSS or other attacks go.

• @delfinom said:

The guy who wrote the format also specced a PCB's thickness for a design at 0.021" when 0.063" is typical. The end result was a massive RMA of broken product because it turns out PCBs flexing is bad. The genius had so much room there was no reason for making it thin. Also picking some weirdass nonstandard thickness costs more.

...pedantic dickweed lesson alert...you have been warned...

Reminds me of my first week on the job at the lock company. I was asked offhand to make a container with a base plate (don't remember what for, not important now). I put in the CAD design that we were to use 4 x 0.153" screws. My boss, upon seeing this lovely manufacturing WTF, was kind enough to walk me to the shop area where they store standard-sized screws. After showing me this, he then explained how much more expensive my custom-designed screws would raise the cost of the assembly, make us more likely to be un-competitive, and literally screw our profits (not quite put that way, but I got the point.) At least he asked me if any of their in-stock standard sizes would do, upon which I sheepishly agreed the 0.125" ones would do just fine.

Sounds like your guy either was never educated to the concept of standards, or didn't care enough to pay attention.

• @tarunik said:

No, the white (or blue) smoke is simply when it stops working in a fragrant fashion. The black smoke is when it actually decides to self-ignite in a sustained and energetic way.

Especially in a second-trimester EE lab when the electrolytic capacitor in the offending student's power supply kit gets installed backwards...good thing the sprinklers didn't come on!

• @redwizard said:

Sounds like your guy either was never educated to the concept of standards, or didn't care enough to pay attention.

I think you missed the topic title.

"don't let physics majors masquerading as electrical engineers"

Because I can sure as hell tell you he wasn't qualified from that alone. He had an "MIT" degree so that alone made some genius in the company hire him fresh out of college way back.

But he left before I joined the company. It's just to this day I am still stepping on landmines left behind by that fucking shit for brain tard. He basically just covered up flaws in his work (completely breaking any engineering ethics), never really tested anything(or at least never used anything beyond a DMM like an oscilloscope), etc,etc,etc.

Apparently he's working as an EE for the NYC MTA now. I really don't want to know what critical piece of infrastructure he has worked on.

• @delfinom said:

Apparently he's working as an EE for the NYC MTA now. I really don't want to know what critical piece of infrastructure he has worked on.

And this is in an industry that presumably has a license for operation.

• O yea, he apparently passed the PE(Professional Engineering) Exam while at the company. The licensure is kind of a joke per say. You just have to pass the standardized test and submit proof of work history(~4 years) in the field with "review" from your peers(that don't need an license in the case of electrical engineers since not many are licensed in that field). There's really nothing testing actual design competency or engineering ethics.
    However, I could fuck him over by reporting him for ethics violations but that's too much drama.

• ♿ (Parody)

@delfinom said:

However, I could fuck him over by reporting him for ethics violations but that's too much drama.

Please report to the evil ideas thread.

• @delfinom said:

I think you missed the topic title.

My comment of “Sounds like your guy either was never educated to the concept of standards, or didn't care enough to pay attention” still stands. This guy never bothered to find out. At best he’s ignorant.
    @delfinom said:
    He basically just covered up flaws in his work (completely breaking any engineering ethics), never really tested anything(or at least never used anything beyond a DMM like an oscilloscope), etc,etc,etc.

Nope, that proves he’s not ignorant. He’s an A—hole.

• @redwizard said:

Especially in a second-trimester EE lab when the electrolytic capacitor in the offending student's power supply kit gets installed backwards...good thing the sprinklers didn't come on!

Or when you accidentally miswire the 7805 stabiliser, sending all your voltage sources through it...

A bit less magic smoke than here, but was quite a bad idea anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFwMGPuk9gg

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Maciejasjmj said:

A bit less magic smoke than here, but was quite a bad idea anyway:

That was pretty cool. My experience with that--in my defense, someone else assembled 90% of the board--blew a crater in a 7400-series chip, which I thought was pretty cool.

I love the smell of Bakelite[1] in the morning. Tastes like WTF.

[1] Yes, I know. Shut up.